Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day one

So today I had class yay! It's really nice to ease into the new semester like this. The thing is, when you get to 4000 level classes, you've already read so much material that a lot of it repeats. Which is the case with one of my favorite feminist writers Adrienne Rich. I still use her essay Compulsory Heterosexuality to write analysis papers. It just applies to everything! She writes such beautiful and poignant things. Even though she wrote in the 50-60s, much of what she has written still speaks volumes to me every time I read it. 

It is exhilarating to be alive in the time of awakening consciousness; it can be confusing, disorienting, and painful.
                                                                                                                 -- Adrienne Rich


As someone re-discovering themselves, or growing in a way different form one which they are accustomed, it hurts to find the new me. Some call it growing pains, others say its a shedding of the old skin and stretching out of the new. I know Rich is talking about the feminist movement but I love that I find it applicable to my new journey of self discovery. It's a challenge every day not to simply give up and go back to my old ways. Likewise,  this new challenge is one that will erase those old ways completely.

Speaking of challenge....

       

No comments:

Post a Comment